Bug in Debugger for IntelliJIDEA release 2022.21 Follow
I seem to have found a serious bug in the latest release 2022.21. It is impossible to know exactly what sequence of events led to the situation.
I was working away and found a part of my code that wasn't working as it should. I shut down the tomcat server and restarted in Debug with a breakpoint set. After fixing the code I quit the browser and stopped the server. I then restarted in Run mode. It displayed a new browser. But it kept stopping at the previous breakpoint which I had removed. I stopped everything, revalidated caches and restarted. I made absolutely sure I was selecting "Run" and not Debug. Still it kept stopping at a non existence debug break point. I then tried shutting down everything, even my PC, switched off the power and restarted. Once again tried to run the web app and it stopped at the non existent break point. No idea how to get the web app to run now without stopping at this non existent break point. Very frustrating. I don't know what more I can do apart from shutting down the whole PC, which I've already done. Tearing my hair out.
Please sign in to leave a comment.
Hi - can you try closing the project, deleting (or renaming) the entire .idea folder (various project configuration settings) from its root, and then reopening it?
Thanks. That has fixed the problem but of course I had to edit configurations again. The solution is rather like decapitating someone to get rid of a head cold. A bit drastic. My free trial of IntelliJIDEA is almost over and it was my intention to purchase the product so I hope they fix the debugger. It is not fit for purpose in this latest release. If I get time, I will try to discover the exact sequence of actions that led to the problem and let you know, because I want them to fix it. Eclipse is free so if I pay for a product I expect it to work properly.
Yes, a reproducer would be great. Better yet, an entire project with all its settings since the problem seems to be with either caching or storing incorrect value somewhere/not deleting it properly.
You can also try deleting deleting the run/debug configuration, invalidating caches and restarting, then re-creating it from scratch to force the data to be overwritten.
I will keep an eye out for similar issues reported by other users to find a possible common cause, and let you know if I find something.
I am still keeping an eye on this while working and have managed to successfully repeat a sequence of events that results in a problem with the debugger.
1. Run the web app in Chrome. It starts and the browser is displayed.
2. Shutdown the browser and secondly, click on "Services" and then shutdown the server.
3. Run the debugger with a couple of breakpoints. A new browser is displayed. Trace through the breakpoints. Do not remove the breakpoints.
4. Shutdown the browser and again click on "Services" and shutdown the server.
5. You should now be able to run the web app in a new browser. But, after clicking on "Run Tomcat" it stops at the debugger breakpoints. It shouldn't stop at the breakpoints if the debugger isn't running.
I am not sure if I have done something wrong using this sequence of actions. But even if I have, there is still a bug somewhere because good software should not allow a user to get into an awkward situation like this. I am still haven't yet tried to figure out what steps to take to repeat the horrid bug I found previously which I couldn't get out of but perhaps what I have found may help to point in the right direction.
I have just discovered another problem. As I was running the web app I found another bug. So I shut down the browser and server and then restarted with the debugger. This time, instead of stopping at my breakpoint in the source code, it is gone into the war_exploded file where I cannot see my breakpoints. Surely, the debugger shouldn't be inside the war file.
No matter what I try to do now every time the debugger runs it goes into the war file.
I zipped up the .idea folder to send you but can't seem to find any way I can send an attachment.
The debugger has now become unusable as it keeps going into the war file and is not following my amended code. I tried invalidate cache and restart but it made no difference. I purchased the product but very disappointed with the debugger in the new release. I will probably have to delete the .idea folder like I did last time and start again. Very annoying because I've got to reset the configuration. I'm giving up for the day. It has wasted enough of my time.