AppCode 3.2 autocomplete exceedingly slow (2-3 second delay), any way to fix this?

Hello all,

doing some C++ coding with AppCode 3.2 and when trying something simple like autocompleting a variable name, it will literally take several seconds after ^space to get something to pop up, even if it's the only one that fits.

Is there something I can try to speed this up?



Hi Charles.

Please try enabling memory indicator (Preferences | Appearance & Behavior | Appearance | Show memory indicator) and keep an eye on it for some time. If it is close to the limit at the time when you are experiencing the problems, then try to increase the Xmx JVM option according to this guide. If it does not help, please capture a CPU snapshot so we can take a look at what is going on.



Even though the memory didn't seem that low, I upped it to 2MB anyways.  Problems still persisted and now there's more than enough room.

Uploaded a CPU usage profile to your FTP site (alphalackey in the file name).  Once I started the profiler, I started typing names of various classes and variable names and tried invoking autocomplete.. same 2.0s-or-so delay each time.

I then tried adding a class from a related library and even though the program recognized the class, it didn't give me an option to automatically import the header file, and I had to do so manually.

Please advise. 


Hello Anna,

Just wondering if you received my submission, and had a chance to look at this?



We've looked into the snapshot and, unfortunately, it doesn't give a clear picture of what's going on (many different actions are mixed together).
Could you please try the following steps:
1) disable inspections using "human head" icon in bottom right (set to "None")
2) before capturing shapshot, perform all basic actions in IDE several times (i.e. navigation, completion, etc).
3) start capturing snapshot. Invoke completion in problematic place several times using the following algorythm:
- type space -> invoke completion -> remove space -> type space -> invoke completion (and repeat several times).
4) finish capturing snapshot.

Regarding your second question, we have some issues related to auto-import which might be related: OC-10826, OC-11038. Please take a look.
Also, in general, feel free to report issues directly in tracker with necessary information to reproduce (self-sufficient code snippet or sample project would be best).




Disabling inspections helped in my case. Thanks!


Also had this problem. Super-mega-slow autocomplete (up to 30 seconds). Fixed it by disabling all inspections I don't need. For example if I use Swift I don't care about HTML/Javascript/CSS/Cofeescript/C++ and so on. Somehow this thing runs all enabled inspections and does not give a f*ck that you're working on iOS project using Swift/ObjC only. Come on, JetBrains, you can do better! This issue has been here since I first met Jetbrains IDE's back in 2013