This plugin provides a simple multi-user chat window, allowing you to chat
with other developers on your local LAN. It takes advantage of IP Multicast,
which means it doesn't require a standalone chat server, but it also means
that it requires support for multicast and can't leave the LAN.
Currently it uses multicast group 220.127.116.11, port 1234 with a TTL of 1.
These values are configurable through the IDE options panel, but require
a restart to take effect.
This plugin requires IDEA 3.0, and was tested on build 629.
To install, simply copy the jar file into your $IDEA_HOME/plugins folder.
You can configure chat window options through the Chat configuration screen
in the IDE Options panel.
- would a split pane or textarea be more appropriate for the entry line,
or is the 1 line entry ok?
- how can I make the chat icon flash to indicate new content is in the
chat window when auto-popup is off?
- does multicast work for most people?
- I'd like to make this an application component, but how do you
get an instance of ToolBarManager without a project?
- Don't try to enter non numeric values in the numeric fields
Version 1.0 - 6/15/01
Version 1.1 - 6/20/01
- enhancement: chat window wordwraps and autoscrolls
- enhancement: multicast group, port, and ttl values are configurable
- enhancement: autopopup configurable for events (like people leaving)
- enhancement: renaming your self in session now triggers an event
- tweak: IRC style formatting for names and events
- tweak: added icon to config screen
- fix: plugin dies on project close
- fix: sending over 64K breaks the network (truncating)