Ok, I've had it with AppCode! I liked it a lot some years ago. I kept recommending it to fellow engineers but it seems recently Jetbrains dropped the ball on this IDE. Using this tool has become an every day frustration for me. After trying 2019.2 which is unusably slow I went back to 2019.1.5 which is just borderline slow. Here's a list of the many issues I face with this IDE in a medium-sized project on a 2015 Macbook:
- Slow code completion! It takes anything from 5-30 seconds for AppCode to show code suggestions.
- Compilation is 1.5 to 2 times slower than Xcode.
- Cannot use Xcode at the same time! If launching Xcode the connection to the simulator will become unusable and you have to restart AppCode to get it working again.
- After restart and especially after pod install/repo merge AppCode goes into its mapping- and indexing mode again which takes anything from 1 to 5 minutes in our project before the IDE can be used.
- After above step is done AppCode takes another couple of minutes to finish code analysis, AFTER it FINALLY managed to start the code analysis which also can take a while (you wont see syntax hi-lighted code until then).
- Issues related to the general slowness of AppCode such as seeing a "Loading..." for up to 20 seconds when opening a source code file or AppCode simply freezing for ~10 seconds when pasting a class into a code file.
- This is all with generous amounts of RAM supplied to AppCode (I set Xmx to 4GB).
- AppCode 2019.2 is a couple magnitudes slower with the listed issues.
These issues have gotten to a point were it seriously impacts my work performance negatively compared to other engineers who use Xcode. I dislike Xcode but there isn't really any other choice with the poor performance delivered by AppCode. I will not extend my subscription next time. This is a bummer! I really like some of Jetbrain's tools (using Rider at home which is great) but recent AppCode releases are just a pain to use now.