Default Encoding Issues

I am having some problems with my default encodings within RubyMine.

Background:
I'm running a sinatra application using thin.  I am running it within RubyMine.  

I'm using version 3.2.4 build #RM-107.612, and I'm running is on OSX-Lion

Problem:
When I run my application using thin via RubyMine I get the following error:

invalid byte sequence in US-ASCII

When I run the application by starting the thin server on the command line, I do not get this errorm everything works correctly.  As I start the thin server I inserted a puts statement:

puts Encoding.default_external

When I start up thin in Ruby Mine the output is:
US-ASCII


When I start up thin on the Command Line the output is:

UTF-8

The difference is that the Command line is using the system defaults as shown below.

>> locale

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"

LC_ALL=

Where is RubyMine getting these encoding values from?, and how do you configure Ruby Mine to use the system defaults?   Based on my research, I can change it in Ruby Mine -> Preferences -> File Encodings ... however, that menu doesn't exist, and I can't find anything comprable.

thanks.

mylo

4 comments
Comment actions Permalink

See Preferences | General | IDE Encoding.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I opened Preferences -> General -> IDE Encoding

I tried setting it to UTF-8 and to System Default.  No matter what it is set to, puts Encoding.default_external still returns US-ASCII

0
Comment actions Permalink

This problem is caused by the way OS X handles environment variables, please see http://devnet.jetbrains.net/docs/DOC-1160 for workaround

0
Comment actions Permalink

Dennis,

Thanks, that got it working.

I used that link to set:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"



After that Ruby Mine started up with all of the correct encodings.
0

Please sign in to leave a comment.