I'm trying out Spring Insight with my Grails 1.3.4 app.
* installed tc Server developer 2.0.3.RELEASE
* installed IntelliJ's tc Server plugin described at http://blogs.jetbrains.com/idea/2010/09/spring-tc-server-support-in-idea/
* added a tc Server to the Application Servers, creating a new server instance based on the spring-insight-instance
* added a Run/Debug Configuration using that app server
* that configuration's Deployment tab complains that my (Grails) project has no artifacts (IdeaX IU 98.187)
* I fix it by adding an empty Web Application: Exploded artifact to the Project Settings
** and to the <output root> of its Output Layout tab I Add Copy of Extracted Directory, selecting target/myProj-0.1.war to extract
** then adding that artifact to the Run/Debug Configuration > Deployment, to Deploy at the server startup
* use Grails to build the WAR
* start that run configuration, but the WAR artifact isn't added to my new tc instance's webapps, and I get the following errors:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home/bin/java -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/Users/jbeutel/tools/tcserver/dev-2.0.3.RELEASE/tomcat-6.0.29.A.RELEASE/common/endorsed -Dcatalina.base=/Users/jbeutel/tools/tcserver/dev-2.0.3.RELEASE/tapsWithInsight -Dcatalina.home=/Users/jbeutel/tools/tcserver/dev-2.0.3.RELEASE/tomcat-6.0.29.A.RELEASE -Djava.io.tmpdir=/Users/jbeutel/tools/tcserver/dev-2.0.3.RELEASE/tapsWithInsight/temp -Djava.util.logging.manager=com.springsource.tcserver.serviceability.logging.TcServerLogManager -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/Users/jbeutel/tools/tcserver/dev-2.0.3.RELEASE/tapsWithInsight/conf/logging.properties -Dwrapper.dump.port=-1 -Xmx512m -Xss192k -Dfile.encoding=MacRoman -classpath /Users/jbeutel/tools/tcserver/dev-2.0.3.RELEASE/tomcat-6.0.29.A.RELEASE/bin/bootstrap.jar:/Users/jbeutel/tools/tcserver/dev-2.0.3.RELEASE/tapsWithInsight/bin/tomcat-juli.jar:/Users/jbeutel/tools/tcserver/dev-2.0.3.RELEASE/tomcat-6.0.29.A.RELEASE/bin/tomcat-juli.jar:/Users/jbeutel/tools/tcserver/dev-2.0.3.RELEASE/tomcat-6.0.29.A.RELEASE/bin/win32/wrapper.jar:/Users/jbeutel/tools/tcserver/dev-2.0.3.RELEASE/tomcat-6.0.29.A.RELEASE/bin/win32/threaddumpwrapper.jar net.covalent.tomcat.wrapper.ThreadDumpWrapper start
Oct 25, 2010 10:59:40 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 1394 ms
Connected to server
2010-10-25 10:59:44,554 WARN [org.springframework.jmx.support.JmxUtils][main] - Found more than one MBeanServer instance. Returning first from list.
Oct 25, 2010 10:59:49 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 9486 ms
[10:59:50.057]Not allowed to connect. Check role and password.
[10:59:50.058]There is an application at /taps. Starting redeploy...
[10:59:50.062]Not allowed to connect. Check role and password.
[10:59:50.062]Starting undeployment of /taps ...
[10:59:50.065]Not allowed to connect. Check role and password.
[10:59:50.065]Starting deployment of 'extracted grails war' to /taps ...
[10:59:50.068]Not allowed to connect. Check role and password.
To fix this and deploy locally, I had to enable JMX authentication on the Run Configuration with role "admin" and password "springsource".
Next, I had to set up my Grails configuration to work with the WAR that I had made. Now it looks good.
I'm posting this to help others and/or get feedback on if there's a better way to do this. The artifact and deployment part seems pretty kludgy.