Synchronizing files for over a minute on remotely mounted samba files

A new client has a required setup where your workstation is on WindowsXP but all project and associated files are remoted samba mounted on a Solaris machine. Every time IDEA gets focus it takes over a minute to complete "Synchronizing files" during which time IDEA is unusable. This is a long standing issue, right? I searched the forums but didn't find a solution. Is there any workaround that continues to use the remote mounting?

7 comments

Disabling Settings | General | Synchronize files on frame activation should help a bit. But manual synchronization will still take a lot of time with network drives. There is no solutions for this. Consider using local drives and a version control/backup.

0

Thanks Serge. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to put up a tooltip on the "Synchronizing files..." message that let's the user know about the option on Settings | General | Synchronize files on frame activation.

0

P.S. I'd be glad to add an issue on such a tooltip if you guys want it, Serge, so if you do, just let me know.

0

Somehow I missed knowing about the Knowledge base!? Good to know. Thanks.

0

Serge Baranov wrote:

Disabling Settings | General | Synchronize files on frame activation should help a bit. But manual synchronization will still take a lot of time with network drives. There is no solutions for this. Consider using local drives and a version control/backup.


Is there anything else one should do to help performance when running on
remotely mounted files (NFS)? Our students don't have the option of
using local drives; the storage system is separate from the SunRay
servers on which they run IDEA and this is not going to change.

0

One of my projects has about 20% of the files on a remote filesystem. Synchronization takesa bout 5-6 seconds for approx. 5000 files, 1000 of them remote. The remote system is on the local network with network latency < 1ms.

Have you measured what you network latency is? That could contribute to the delay.

I also have "Synchronize files on frame activation" turned off. Although I noticed that IDEA appears to synchronize the currently edited file when I switch back to IDEA anyway, even though this option is off. It is useful behavior for me because my remote files are checked into a different VCS which I have to manually check out the file through SSH telnet. When I switch back to IDEA, it detects the currently edited file has changed. If the changed file is not the currently edited tab, it doesn't detect it, and I have to invoke Synchronize.

The real fix is going to be when Jetbrains gets on the multi-core computing bandwagon and makes all long running tasks run in the background.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.