I spent a couple of hours today working on a Jupyter Notebook with PyCharm and this is a quick list of the issues I found:
- BUG: If you add a cell and select the option Markdown, if you add a second cell, the IDE will keep Markdown selected in the Cell Type dropdown. However, this cell is a Code cell.
- MISSING FEATURE: Headings don't have the section numbers in front.
- MISSING FEATURE: There's no option for deleting a cell.
- MISSING FEATURE: There's no option for running multiple cells.
- MISSING FEATURE: There's no option clearing the output.
- MISSING FEATURE: No support for installed plugins such as nbextensions.
- ODD BEHAVIOR: You can't move up/down a cell when you're editing it.
- ODD BEHAVIOR: There's no clear indication of where a cell's input and output sections begin/end.
- ODD BEHAVIOR: Weird background color for Markdown cells. I tried different themes, but they keep getting a black background, while Code doesn't have a background color at all.
The support for Jupyter Notebooks seems to have been developed by a junior intern. Seriously. The interface is just six buttons and a dropdown. (Run Cell, Stop Kernel, Restart Kernel, Move cell up, Move cell down, Add cell and Cell Type) and most of them don't behave as expected and/or are buggy.
PyCharm is a great product, don't get me wrong, but this kind of things is unacceptable for a software of its pricing.