Unable to start correctly - 0xc000007b

Answered

Latest version of DataGrip, latest Windows 10. Without changing anything (to my knowledge) I started getting an "Unable to start correctly - 0xc000007b" error. No idea why. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix it. Now completely stuck

15 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Hi,

Do you have any IDE logs you can attach?
Thank you.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I'm having the same issue and reported it to tech support issue #1177856. It looks like it was logged as ALL-2294

As of today 12/26/2017 I've not had a response

0
Comment actions Permalink

@Tomhogan, nice to know it isn't only me. I might have another crack at it soon. At the moment I have moved DataGrip onto another machine because I got nowhere trying everything

0
Comment actions Permalink

@vasilyChernov, I should have mentioned that my problem is with CLion. I've tried installing it with and without JetBrains Toolbox and the result is still the same.Hopefully, tech support can provide an answer.

0
Comment actions Permalink

This is caused by Windows' Exploit protection, by the Mandatory ASLR, to be exact. This is off by default on Windows, but can be changed. If you want to keep Mandatory ASLR on by default, you will have to add an override for idea.exe or idea64.exe (replace the name with your specific IDE) that disables Mandatory ASLR for the executable. Or you may run Idea without the exe wrapper, using idea.bat (in case of Idea IDE) the batch file.

5
Comment actions Permalink

@JanKlos was spot on. I started experienced 0xc000007b errors with CLion after enabling mandary ASLR in Windows 10. Thanks for the assistance!

1
Comment actions Permalink

@JanKlos - a brilliant find. You are absolutely correct!

0
Comment actions Permalink

@JanKlos  nailed it!. After temporarily disabling ASLR, CLion installed and ran without a hitch. Thank you!

0
Comment actions Permalink

@JanKlos Same issue here.

Now how to I "add an override for idea.exe or idea64.exe ... that disables Mandatory ASLR for the executable"?

0
Comment actions Permalink

@MishaCharrett I tried this (Running on Windows 10 32-bit):

Also removed Data Execution Prevention (DEP), to no avail:

C:>"\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition 2017.3.4\bin\idea.bat"
Execution protection violation
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x002e0546, pid=9952, tid=0x00003ca0
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_152-b11) (build 1.8.0_152-release-1024-b11)
# Java VM: OpenJDK Server VM (25.152-b11 mixed mode windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C  0x002e0546
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# C:\Users\Christine VACHER\java_error_in_IDEA_9952.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

0
Comment actions Permalink

I turned everything off (by this stage I just wanted the application to work)

0
Comment actions Permalink

BTW, you don't have mandatory ASLR off in your settings (it needs to be off) ;-)

0
Comment actions Permalink

Done that (disabled everything), restarted the system, still does not work. The only difference being that it doesn't say "Execution protection violation" anymore:

C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition 2017.3.4\bin>idea.bat
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x0002016e, pid=6720, tid=0x00001d14
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (8.0_152-b11) (build 1.8.0_152-release-1024-b11)
# Java VM: OpenJDK Server VM (25.152-b11 mixed mode windows-x86 )
# Problematic frame:
# C  0x0002016e
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# C:\Users\Christine VACHER\java_error_in_IDEA_6720.log
0
Comment actions Permalink
What worked for me:
  • Reinstalled Intellij (ideaIC-2017.3.4.exe) as an administrator.
  • Disabled installation of x86 Java VM, Now Intellij t runs on the currently installed Java JDK:
C:\Users\Christine VACHER>REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit" /s /v JavaHome
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit\1.8
    JavaHome    REG_SZ    C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_152
No need to mess with exploit protection.
0

Please sign in to leave a comment.