The instructions below refer to PhpStorm, but all the steps for WebStorm are quite the same.
To take the logs you need to:
1. Open Help | Debug Log Settings...
2. Add the following lines:
- issues with PHP: #com.jetbrains.php
- issues with FTP/FTPS/SFTP deployment/synchronization: #com.jetbrains.plugins.webDeployment
- issues with SSH/SFTP: #com.intellij.ssh
3. Click OK
4. Reproduce the problem.
5. Log files are to be found at:
- from PhpStorm/WebStorm:
- Help | Show Log in Explorer/Files/Navigator/Finder
- Help | Collect and Show Logs in Explorer/Files/Navigator/Finder
- manually (~ stands for user home directory and XX for the number of version ):
- Windows and Linux: ~\.PhpStormXXXX.Y\system\log
- Mac OS X: ~/Library/Logs/PhpStormXXXX.Y
More information about the directories used by IDEs can be found here.
The latest log file is named idea.log, older files names end with number, i.e. idea.log.1, idea.log.2 etc. In the most cases you need only the latest one.